Sleep problems, also referred to as sleep disorders or sleep disturbances, are conditions that affect the quality, duration, and timing of sleep. These disorders can lead to difficulties in falling asleep, staying asleep or experiencing restful sleep. Sleep problems can have various causes, including medical, psychological, environmental, and lifestyle factors. Here are some common sleep disorders:
- Insomnia: Insomnia is characterized by difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or having non-restorative sleep despite adequate opportunity to sleep. It can be transient (short-term), intermittent, or chronic.
- Sleep Apnea: Sleep apnea is a disorder where breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep. The two primary types are:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): This occurs when the throat muscles intermittently relax and block the airway.
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA): This happens when the brain fails to send proper signals to the muscles that control breathing.
- Narcolepsy: Narcolepsy is a neurological disorder characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden, uncontrollable episodes of falling asleep during the day.
- Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): RLS is an uncomfortable sensation in the legs, typically accompanied by an irresistible urge to move them. It often worsens during periods of rest or inactivity, leading to sleep disruption.
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake Disorders: These disorders involve disruptions in the sleep-wake schedule due to a misalignment of the body’s internal biological clock with the desired sleep-wake schedule. Examples include jet lag, shift work disorder, and delayed sleep-wake phase disorder. Sleep problems treatment in Indore is easily available.