Certain patients are not able to identify emotional experiences and cannot tolerate frustration and rejection leading to depression, stress and anxiety which can lead to grave consequences at times. For this issue, the psychiatrist does Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Dialectical behavior therapy is a therapy that tries to identify and change the negative patterns of thoughts which can turn into suicidal action in a person. People suffering from personality disorders also need this therapy. In this therapy, the psychiatrist helps the person to accept the current situation and then focuses on increasing tolerance in a person about his negative emotions by psychologically preparing him/her to face the issues with a calm mind. After that, emotion cover strategies are being made which will help the person to fight with those negative thoughts, emotions. At last, the psychiatrist teaches the person interpersonal effectiveness which will enable him/her to communicate to another person in such a way, which maintains self-respect and strengthens relationships.
Effects of Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT):
- It helps you to get rid of the negative emotions.
- It helps you to move into the right path.
- It helps you to get your self-esteem back.
- It helps you to maintain a healthy relationship with others.
- It helps you to live a normal life.
- It helps you to be determined towards future goals.